This vegan/vegetarian friendly soup is simple and requires only two main ingredients—coconut milk and curry powder. The chestnuts and chickpeas are optional. I added them to give the soup some protein and texture. Alternatively you can add tofu. I used cauliflower, broccoli, and mushrooms but feel free to replace these with your favorite veggies. Eggplant and sweet potato are a nice touch. Top with cilantro or basil.
1 c chickpeas (cooked)
½ c chestnuts
½ head cauliflower
½ head broccoli
2 c coconut milk
1 t ginger
2 cloves garlic
1-2 T curry powder (depending on your spice preference)
½ t nutmeg
½ t cinnamon
1 T olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
Top with chili flakes, cilantro, or basil
- Roast the cauliflower, broccoli, chickpeas and chestnuts with olive oil, salt, pepper, and a pinch of curry powder. Cook at 375 degrees for ~20 minutes. Remove from the oven when they begin to brown.
- Sauté the onion, ginger, garlic, curry powder, nutmeg, and cinnamon in a large pot over medium heat. Stir frequently so the onions do not burn. Once the onions are golden add the roasted vegetables and nuts.
- Once the vegetables are coated with the spices add the coconut milk. If the soup is too thick, add a ½ cup water or vegetable broth.
- Simmer for 15 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Serve with chili flakes, cilantro, and/or basil.