The season of bulky scarves, pumpkin spice lattes, and colorful leaves is upon us. Happy fall folks!
Now that it’s officially pumpkin season, here’s one of my favorites – spiced pumpkin bread!
1/2 c honey, maple syrup, or agave
1/4th c brown sugar
1/2 c coconut oil
1/4th c almond milk (or milk of choice)
1/4th c apple sauce
1 c pumpkin purée
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cloves
1 tsp baking soda
2 c whole wheat flour
Pecans or walnuts (optional)
Sprinkle oats on top (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt the coconut oil then immediately mix it with the honey, sugar, and eggs. The coconut oil will begin to solidify so stir in other ingredients right away. If clumps of coconut oil begin to appear, place in warm place (for instance, on top of the oven). Then add in the almond milk, pumpkin purée, apple sauce, and vanilla.
- Mix the dry ingredients together (nutmeg, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, baking soda, and flour) then combine it with the coconut oil mixture.
- Pour the batter into a greased loaf pan (9″ x 5″ x 2 1/2″). Sprinkle a few oats and cinnamon on top. Bake at 350 degrees until a toothpick inserted into the center of the bread comes out clean, around 35 minutes.
- Let cool and serve with pumpkin butter from TJ’s.