This is a modified recipe from The Garlic Lover’s Cookbook. Warning: this pesto will leave a strong garlic taste in your mouth. Use less garlic if you plan on smooching anyone later in the night. For a healthy alternative try it over spaghetti squash or zucchini noodles.
1 cup grated fresh Parmesan
2 cups fresh basil leaves
1/2 cup melted butter (or dairy-free, non-hydrogenated Earth Balance)
10-20 cloves fresh garlic (I use the whole bulb)
1 tbs pine nuts (I throw in a handful, because I love them)
3/4 olive oil
salt to taste
- Using a blender or food processor, grate enough Parmesan cheese to make one cup; add basil.
- Then add melted butter, followed by garlic, pine nuts and finally the oil.
- Allow each added ingredient to blend smoothly with the preceding ones, and let stand at least one hour.
- Prepare pasta according to package directions.
- Mix pesto with pasta fresh from the boiling water. Do not add too much pesto, but allow each person a chance to adjust flavor to taste, by adding more pesto if desired.
- Leftover pesto will last for a quite a long while if refrigerated in a plastic container, but do not freeze.