I followed this recipe, except I modified the glaze. These rose tarts take a bit of prep but are well worth the time. The thin slices of apple get crispy and flaky. Delicious and healthy! Thanks fmitk for sharing!
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 tablespoon salt
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) cold butter
- 3 tablespoons ice cold water
Filling (slightly modified)
- 3-4 apples (the recipe calls for only 2 but I cut extra to practice on)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 4-5 tablespoons butter
- juice of 1 1/2 lemons
The recipe also calls for strawberry preserves, which I omitted.
- Combine the flour, sugar, and salt. Stir in the butter and water. Mix the dough until it comes together. I used my hands. Put it in the refrigerator for at least an hour.
- Place cupcake/muffin holders in the baking tray.
- Roll the dough out and cut into small circles. The recipe suggests using the top of a mug or cup. For some of them I just molded the dough into the cupcake holder.
- Cut the apples into fourths then thinly slice them with the mandolin.
- Pour the sugar, butter, and lemon juice over the cut apples.
- Microwave for 1-1 1/2 minutes until the apples are moldable.
- Line about 10 slices in a row, slightly on top of each other. Roll the apple pieces together to form the “petal.” Place in the muffin tin.
- Bake at 375ºF for ~30 minutes.