Polynesian Coconut Pumpkin Pie (Gluten-free and Dairy-free)
I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving. Sorry my pumpkin pie recipe is a little late. Things always get hectic around the holidays. The goods news is that this pie can be made throughout the holiday season. Enjoy!
The crust is an adapted cookie recipe from Wheat Belly. The pie filling is a Polynesian coconut filling that my mom and I adapted from Epicurious.
Gluten-free, Dairy-free Pumpkin Pie CRUST
1 cup of coconut flour
1 cup of ground almonds [I throw whole almonds into my vitamix to grind them to flour]
1 cup of almond flour [almond “meal” is easily found at Trader Joe’s]
a handful of coconut flakes
1 tablespoon honey
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 cup almond milk
1 cup melted butter [I use Earth Balance]
1/2 cup maple syrup
1 tsp. vanilla
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees and grease pie pan.
- Stir together all dry ingredients in large bowl.
- Whisk almond milk, butter, maple syrup, vanilla and eggs.
- Add to dry ingredients.
- Mixture should be like cake batter, so add a small amount of water to thin it, if necessary.
- Mold into pie pan and bake for 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.It does not puff up much.
Gluten-free, Dairy-free Pumpkin Pie FILLING
1/2 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
1/2 cup honey
1 1/2 cups coconut milk
1 1/2 cups pumpkin puree
1 tablespoon rum
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
pinch of ground cloves
1 partially baked 10-inch pie shell
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Whisk together the eggs and the brown sugar in a large mixing bowl. Add the honey and whisk until smooth. Stir in the coconut milk, pumpkin puree, and rum. Add the salt, cinnamon, ginger and cloves and mix until incorporated.
- Pour mixture into the pie shell. Bake the pie for about 30 minutes, until set. Cool the pie to room temperature and then serve with ice cream. Yum!